LUCA School of Arts / KU LeuvenLUCA School of Arts is an educational and research environment in which creative talent can flourish and develop. It promotes artistic practice and creative design as well as research and innovation. LUCA offers a wide range of bachelor and master courses and conducts research in visual arts, audiovisual arts, performing arts, music and design on campuses in Ghent, Leuven, Brussels and Genk. LUCA collaborates with the University of Leuven (KU Leuven) for its PhD program in the arts. While working with one or more supervisors and a research group of LUCA School of Arts, our PhD students are enrolled at the KU Leuven which awards the degree of PhD in the Arts, and we offer a scholarship for a Phd student in the Arts.
During four years (2018 - 2022) you will prepare a PhD in the Arts at KU Leuven under the supervision of prof. dr. Esther Venrooij of LUCA School of Arts (research group “Art, Space & Context”) and the KU Leuven (Department of Architecture).
You will take up teaching responsibilities at LUCA (max. 120 hours/year) or offer administrative support to your supervisor, your research group or your research unit at LUCA (max. 240 hours/year).
● You have a masters in design or art practice or a masters in another field with strong international artistic or design portfolio.
● Your practice has a clear research dimension that is relevant for the project.
● You are willing to work in team and to play an active role within the LUCA research group Art, Space & Context and the department of Art / Architecture at KU Leuven.
● You have the skills to complete a comprehensive, long-term research project within the given time-frame of four years.
● You are willing to communicate your research at conferences, through artistic or design presentations and through publications.
● You will investigate space in all its forms and implications. And you are interested in the material and immaterial qualities of space in its political and social context.
We offer a four year doctoral scholarship at KU Leuven starting within the calendar year of 2018. The initial contract covers 1 year. After positive evaluation, this can be extended with 1 year and subsequently with 2 years.
Please find more information on the working conditions at KU Leuven here: https://www.kuleuven.be/personeel/jobsite/en/phd/phd-information#working-conditions.
Contactpersoon: firstname.lastname@example.orgReageren voor: 30/06/2018
We expect your written application by email before the deadline of Saturday 30 June 2018, 0h00 CET to: email@example.com Your candidature contains: - A letter of motivation, in which you describe how you position yourself within the field of art, research and education, and how you would like to make a contribution to the development of research within LUCA. - A copy of the relevant degrees. - A comprehensive CV, including artistic portfolio and a list of publications (if applicable). - An outline of your research project (max. 500 words). Only complete candidatures will be accepted for evaluation. All documents should be merged into one PDF. If the PDF exceeds 10 MB it should be send using an online file transfer service (such as We Transfer). The file should not exceed 30 MB.
Scholarship for a PhD in the Arts - Spatial Experiences